India is indeed enriched with a myriad of extremely talented and potential fashion designers. Indian fashion designers have imprinted their footprints in the vast land of world fashion.
Let us have a look at the top 10 fashion designers in India :-
- Having come from the humblest background, Sabyasachi has literally grown over the years to become the most renowned fashion designer in India. He runs his own brand under the label Sabyasachi.
- Sabyasachi Mukherji was born in a meager Bengali family in Kolkata. Out of sheer determination to become a fashion designer, he started studying at NIFT. After passing out from NIFT, he created his own label with a team of just 3 members.
- What turned the wheel of Sabyasachi’s life was winning the Femina British Council’s best designer award.
- Since then Mukherji has been continuing to be the top favorite of all Indians. He is the most popular designer in Bollywood. Having created some of the most incredible dresses, Sabyasachi Mukherji tops the list among the best fashion designers of India
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to Shabana Azmi, the man who dressed them all with marvelous outfits is none other than Manish Malhotra. He is perhaps the most popular designers in the Indian Film Industry.
- Manish made his designing debut in the fashion industry by designing the outfit of Juhi Chawla for the movie Swarg. Since then he has created innumerable dresses for all the Bollywood divas.
- Manish features all sorts of Indian handcrafts in his collection. The traditional and authentic Indian karigari is what distinguishes Manish Malhotra from other designers. Apart from being just a designer, Manish is known for his outstanding contributions in the field of social service for both humans and animals.
- He is acclaimed Internationally. His own label is Manish Malhotra. The Philadelphia Museum of the art features his couture collection.
- There is perhaps no Indian woman who is not a fan of Ritu Kumar’s designer collections. She started from a minimalist set up and now tops the list among female fashion designers of India. She has been giving rise to one of a kind dresses designs since 1969.
- She was born in Amritsar. Pursued her studies in Loretto convent school, Shimla. Later on, she studied Art history at Briarcliff College, NY. She returned to India to study museology at Ashutosh Museum of Indian art under the university of Calcutta. After completion of the course, she started her business in Kolkata itself. Till date, Kolkata is the main headquarters of her business operation.
- The term boutique collection was first introduced by her. The colors and designs are indeed unique. The traditional Indian aesthetic design and fabric is reinvented to give rise to some high-grade collections through her label. Block printing, natural dyes, and earthy designs are showcased in all dresses that she produces.
- She is definitely one of the most promising fashion designers or rather a complete costume stylist who is more than popular in India as well as acclaimed internationally. She is a typical Mumbai girl and grew around Film city. She is currently married to the most popular psychiatrists of Mumbai- Dr. Shyam Lulla.
- Neeta has completely redefined the gorgeous traditional Indian outfits. She has glorified Marathi Clothing. Her work includes the special transformation of Paithani. She has been credited by awards and honor at almost all the Lakme fashion weeks. She is an eminent social activist and firmly affirms her belief in the strength of women through all her designer collections.
- She runs her own brand under the label of Neeta Lulla.
- Born in a traditional Sindhi family, this famous Mumbai based fashion designer is well known for hid versatility in designing dresses. He is also an eminent social activist. He had never received any formal training regarding fashion designing.
- Later on, his wife Sailaja Tahiliani decided to introduce their own fashion label. Tarun and Sailaja inaugurated their multi-variant boutique ‘ENSEMBLE’. Since then both have been working dedicatedly and today their brand needs no introduction.
Among some of his eminent work are: – Rubaiyat Kumbhback
- Today Manish Arora Named amongst the famous fashion designers in india He is an eminent face in the world of fashion designing in India. He was a meritorious student of NIFT. After passing out he had joined one of the most popular French fashion houses Paco Rabanne.
- Later on, he stepped as an independent figure in the Indian fashion industry. He launched his own retailing label as “Manish Arora”. Later on, he launched his collections at various fashion weeks in India as well as foreign countries
- The collections of Manish Arora are one of a kind. He uses extensive weird color palettes in his collection. He is known as John Galiano of India.
- Noted for his extensive fusion collection which incorporates traditional Indian designs and stitches into western wear. He comes from a traditional business-oriented family of Jalandhar. After completing his studies, he joined his family garments business.
- He opened his small boutique under the banner limelight. Eventually, he shifted to Mumbai. There he made a strong collaboration with Abu Jani. They co-own their label now, which is named as “Matahari“. They have been successfully operating since 1986.
- The well-known celebs who are ambassadors of this brand include dimple Kapadia and Jaya bachchaan. Sandeep Khosla’s collections are featured in Ensemble, the multi collection boutique of TarunTahiliani. Within the short span of time, Sandeep khosla become the top fashion designer of india.
- She is the daughter of Indian Actress Neena Gupta. Her career started from participating in Lakme Fashion Week.
- Her designs feature the extensive use of cotton, chiffon, and silk as base materials. Indian embroidery work is an exclusive collection of her brand. She retails out her collection under the label Masaba.
- She has also collaborated with Maybelline and designs dresses for their ad shoots which reflects the colors for Indian skin tones.
- She basically crafts all her collection for women and focuses on women liberation and empowerment
- He is the best known contemporary fashion designer in India. His home town is Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir. Rohit has no degrees on pen and paper regarding fashion designing. He started on a joint venture with his brother Rajiv for their own designer collection.
- Rohit Bal has been acknowledged by the government as he was chosen for participating in the khadi gramudyog scheme. The beautiful designs produced by Rohit Bal includes extensive use of designer pieces like peacock and lotus. He manufactures unisexual designer wear.
- His label operates from a number of cities and is also into jewelry designing.
- If there is some fashion designer in India who is an equally brilliant entrepreneur, then it is definitely her. Being raised in a typical Marathi family in Mumbai, Anita strongly believed in breaking gender barriers and supported freedom and liberation of women.
- These ideals are very much reflected in her collections. The sphere of her collection is so wide that it operates under 4 distinguished labels. The first one is the authentic Anita Dongre collection. She also has the Anita dongre Grassroot collection which concentrates on organic clothes.
- Her jewellery collections and bridal wear are also Showstoppers.